Thursday, October 23, 2008

Tiny Needles

On our honeymoon in Maui, Mr. T and I went to a cheesy luau where some terrible Don Ho impersonator sang Tiny Bubbles. That's what I was thinking about when I titled my post. Tiny needles, in my fat, make me happy, make me want a nap. Since I haven't started stims yet, I'm not sure I'll be too happy, but the small needles I saw today did make me relieved, at least. And, I'm pretty much always ready for a nap, so that's just a given.

The needles I saw today were all at my doctor's office during my first official IVF appt. I had a sonohysterosomething (during which my uterus received a very nice compliment, "your uterus is beautiful." He left out "but useless," which I thought was kind.) They did find one small (4-5mm) fibroid that the dr said was nothing to be worried about at all. I don't like anything extra in my ute, but I'm not concerned if doc isn't concerned. They ended up not doing a mock transfer because my RN said the dr is already familiar with my cervix and uterus from my IUIs. I told Mr. T and he said "he's definitely more familiar with them than I am." Thanks, Mr. T.

At my appt, I got my calendar for the upcoming weeks. I just got a call from my RN with my bloodwork results for today and we are good to go. Estrogen was 39.7 (doc likes it under 80), progesterone .535 (doc likes it under 3). Tomorrow night is my last pill. Monday I start injecting myself with meno.pur and brav.elle. I'm grateful there are only two shots and that both are subcutaneous. That tiny needle makes me happy, at least for now. Luckily my friend down the street is a nurse--I think I'll see if she can supervise my first attempt. Anyway, Halloween is my next appt to go in for bloodwork and u/s, then there will be some more as yet unscheduled monitoring. ER tentatively set for Nov. 7 or 8, ET possible for the 10th or 11th. Holy canoli. 

One thing that came up today was the doctor recommending ICSI. Mr. T had low motility before his varicocelectomy, but has been normal since. Numbers have been good for our 2 IUIs, which had two inseminations each. Doc said he wants to do it just because he's being paranoid about the whole thing. He'd hate to get so far only to have the eggs not fertilize naturally. Mr. T feels kind of like this is forcing God's hand, or letting an embryologist determine who our child would be. I prayed about it and think God will guide the hand of the embryologist to create the embryo He wants created. I'll keep praying about it to see if God confirms that idea to me. At this point, I feel fairly comfortable with ICSI and will talk more with hubby about it. Anyone do IVF without ICSI? Any thoughts?

Oh, and woohoo! I have people to ask for advice. Thank you for my six (!) comments. I know there are those with hundreds of comments per post, but if six was my most ever, I'd be totally content. Thanks for caring enough to pass on advice, answers, welcoming words, and hugs. You guys are awesome!

K


4 comments:

babydust81 said...

Hi There,

I am a bloghopper. Hope you dont mind, me reading and linking you to my blog.

I was just reading your post with regards to IVF with/without ICSI. In my religion, in the past it is not really accepted(doing IVF or any form of assisted pregnancy) as they (religious people) feel that we are allowing the doctor to be god (in one way or another). But as years passed, the thinking has little by little changed. I am planning to do IVF soon and my Dr suggested it to be done with ICSI as my hubby has low sperm count and low motility rate.

I am sure you and hubby will come to a consensus. Hope to hear more of your story.

Dale Graves said...

Hello,

I'm so glad you started blogging - I look forward to sharing in your story...

best wishes on your IVF this month-it would be a wonderful way to celebrate the holidays!

be well,
angie

I Believe in Miracles said...

The needles aren't as bad as you think they'll be.

We have the choice to do both. If the eggs don't fertilize on their own, they'll assist. But because ICSI is such an long process, they tend to do it as needed (at least at my clinic). I know other people have it done to all to help ensure fertilization.

This is your egg, your sperm. God is doing all the work. If he doesn't want to make a miracle - either the embryo won't implant or whatever. He's in charge, even with all this medical stuff.

**HUGS**

Leah said...

K! I am so glad to have found your blog. My Hubby and I are going to be doing ICSI in January, so it is so nice to have someone writing about their whole experience. It will so help quell some of my fears!

As far as ICSI goes, I can understand your Hubby's hesitation based on his beliefs. BUT, I think your perspective should be refreshing and comforting for him. Also, thanks for the idea of just freezing eggs. It wasn't something that I had thought about...

I wish you all the best, and I know that God will help comfort you along the way. He has certainly made this journey a lot easier for me! Best wishes in your journey!

Leah